Crochet By Day...Knitter By Night

I hope to share my crochet and knitting projects along with any other crafts I may pursue. Mostly I knit and crochet for my six year old granddaughter and my dogs plus incidental houselold items. Occasionally I do Cross Stitch and Plastic Canvas work.

Name:
Location: Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, United States

I'm married. I'm the mother of a son and a daughter who are now grown. I have one granddaughter. We share our home with three dogs and a black capped conure.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Why I hate boucle

Guess I can't say it enough - I HATE BOUCLE!
Boucle has little nubs of yarn that give it a nubby texture. These nubs tend to split...the strands of the splits tend to get caught where you don't want them to on the left needle.

Also, the texture of this type of yarn makes it very difficult to see the stitches in order to achieve a correct stitch gauge or to locate errors that are causing holes.

Also, it is frequently necessary to insert the right needle into the front and back of the stitch on the left needle to loosen it in order to procede with the next stitch. This makes me feel as though I'm knitting four ponchos although I'm only knitting one.

Also, the tension of each stitch does not adjust automaticly the way it does with normal yarn. The nubs get hung up when pulling the stitch through with the right hand needle.

Also, It is nearly impossible to frog or unravel this yarn if one should wish to simply start the entire project over again.

Needless to say I have no intention of ever knitting a large item with boucle again when this poncho is finally completed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mariella Parra said...

Hola amiga..
Me causa racia tu comentario porque a mi me encanta el bouclé. Considero que es apropiado para personas que se inician en el tejido para lograr un efecto llamativo utilizando punto derecho o revés simplemente, quiero decir sin mucho esfuerzo ni mucho que contar. Por otra parte lo utilizo mucho para decorar en los bordes de mis tejidos y para tejer flores que luego aplico como adornos.
Gracias por tu blog, está buenísimo.
Saludos, Mariella.

Tue Aug 31, 08:13:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Cindy said...

I'm with you. I knitted a cat blanket with boucle and had all kinds of problems with it, just as you described. Never again!

Mon Jul 11, 10:33:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home